Wednesday, September 17, 2014

World of One: NSA

World of One: NSA

NSA (from the series World of One)

This image has been marinating in my brainpan for months. I came up with the idea for this shot shortly after the NSA leaks broke out last year. However, I wasn't able to find a suitable setting to serve as its backdrop until this past June. Furthermore, until these past few weeks, I've had neither the time, nor the resources to develop this picture to its completion.

For me, this image represents one of America's biggest fears – that our government is secretly recording us from the shadows, all the while pretending to be our white knights in shiny suits. Or that, even worse, the Chinese government is recording our every move (you know, because I’m Asian American and all) while watching us from the shadows. This work touches upon one of the reoccurring motifs in the World of One: how we as a society are constantly watching each other, all the while we are constantly being watched ourselves.

A very special thanks to the very beautiful and patient Princess Yen Norah Lo for assisting me on this shoot!!!

No comments: